A History of Crossroads Christian Academy
Crossroads Christian Academy (CCA) was founded as a ministry of Crossroads Bible Church (CBC) in 1997 by a small group of missionaries, pastors, and other parents primarily from the United States. The school began with 29 students enrolled in grades Kindergarten through 8th grade.
When the sovereignty of the Panama Canal was returned to the Panamanian Government in 1999 there was also a mass exodus of many Americans. The leadership of CBC was faced with a major question – “should we continue with a school?”
The CBC leadership decided that the school needed to continue and would increase opportunities for outreach to the community and also provide a quality, Christian education option to families. Since that very important decision, the school has grown from the original 29 to over 270 students in grades K4 to 12th grade. The average senior class is 16 students. 95% of graduates enter post-secondary institutions in Panama, US, Canada as well as many other places. The average class size is 23 and the faculty is primarily from the United States with the exception of specialty areas and foreign language classes.
International and Unique
Because of the influence of other countries throughout the history of Panama and the uniqueness of Panama many of our students hold two passports creating an interesting international mix. Within this mix approximately 30% of our students have Panamanian citizenship. Approximately 45% of the student body would be considered non Panamanian although Panama is considered home. The final 25% would be families who are temporarily in Panama from a variety of countries for diplomacy, banking, humanitarian work, import/export and tourism. The student body is comprised of citizens from countries such as Bolivia, India, Jamaica, China, Japan, Colombia, Costa Rica, Peru, Ecuador, El Salvador, Honduras, Germany, Mexico, Sweden, Spain, Russia, Canada, South Korea, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden, United States, Haiti and Venezuela.
Because CCA is not a bilingual school, students entering First grade through 11th grade must demonstrate a proficiency and fluency in writing, speaking and reading English. CCA does not admit new students into the 12th grade. Students in K4 and K5 may be admitted with a certain level of limitation in English usage. The Spanish language is taught to students in all grade levels.
CCA does admit students with various religious preferences although students and parents must be willing to participate in all aspects of the Christian school program. Parents and students do sign an agreement that they will adhere to and follow the Code of Conduct and understand that Crossroads Christian Academy functions under a Biblical Worldview.
Faculty, Program, Facilities
Most of the faculty is recruited from the US. All the teachers hold a recognized US equivalent teaching certificate - most have US state certification. Over 50% of the faculty has advanced degrees. Teachers must agree with the Statement of Faith and evidence a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The average tenure of a foreign hired teacher is three years.
The academic program continues to improve each year. In 2004, the academic program changed from a video based approach to a traditional type classroom with skilled teachers for each grade level and subject area. Beginning in 2008, CCA was able to provide advanced classes in Spanish, Literature, Biology and World History. In 2010 CCA partnered with SevenStar online academy to expand AP class offerings, electives and recovery class options. In 2011, CCA began offering its first dual credit class from Indiana Wesleyan University. Seniors are able to earn 3 college credits by completing the course. In 2013, CCA piloted its first fully online course taught by a teacher located in US. CCA is fully accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) as well as fully recognized by the Ministry of Education of Panama.
CCA shares facilities with Crossroads Bible Church. Although the property is relatively small the school is still able to provide a 25-station computer lab, an art room, music room, guidance office, an outdoor cafeteria, playground, covered gym area, a science lab and a small elementary library. All the classrooms are well equipped and air-conditioned.
The school is registered with the appropriate governmental agencies and has tax-exempt status in Panama. The school is governed by a seven to nine board members that is self- perpetuating. The board’s role is to assure that the vision of CBC, for the school, is maintained. The Board also develops the strategic plan and defines operational policies. The selection of the Chairman of the school board is done by the Elder Board of CBC. The school board is structured according to the policy governance model and is responsible for one employee, the Head of School.
If CCA might be an option for your family please do not hesitate to contact us. We understand how important the right educational environment is for your child. If a smaller, US type educational structure with a Biblical worldview is something you are looking for we are here to answer your questions. Additional information regarding the enrollment process can be found under Admissions. We look forward to hearing from you!
The mission of Crossroads Christian Academy (CCA) is to assist the family and the Church by developing students academically, spiritually and socially under the leadership of Jesus Christ, and to support and encourage the spiritual and professional growth of the faculty and staff.
- We believe that full and final authority rests in the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, that they are the inspired revelation of God's truth to man, completely trustworthy and the only and sufficient rule for faith and practice (2 Timothy 3:15-17; 2 Peter 1:19-21).
- We believe that the Godhead eternally exists in three Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; that these three are one God, having the same nature, attributes, and perfection; and that all three are worthy of the same homage, confidence, and obedience (Matthew 28:19-20; John 14:6-17; Colossians 1:1-3-19; Hebrews 1:1-3).
- We believe that man was originally created in the image of God to worship and serve God in His creation, that he fell from this high calling, and that through his sin man lost all spiritual life and became subject to the power of the devil. This fallen human nature has been transmitted to all men everywhere, with the exception of the man Christ Jesus, so that every child of Adam is alienated from God and is in need of saving grace (Genesis 1:26-28; Psalm 8; Romans 1:18 and 3:23; Ephesians 2:1-3).
- We believe that the eternal Son of God became incarnate to reveal God to men and to reconcile men to God, that in historical fact He was born of the virgin Mary, lived on earth, was crucified and buried, rose from the dead, and ascended into heaven (John 1: 1-14; Acts 2:22-36; Philippians 2:5-11).
- We believe that salvation for men has been provided by the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ, who died as our substitute, shedding His blood for the remission of our sins (Romans 5:6-21; Colossians 1:11-14 and 19-22; 1 Peter 1:18-23).
- We believe that salvation is received by faith and that those who trust Christ as Savior receive forgiveness and are born again, passing from spiritual death unto everlasting life (John 3:1-18; Romans 5:1-5; Ephesians 2:4-10; Titus 3:4-7).
- We believe that the true Church is composed of all who are born again, that the Holy Spirit baptizes all believers into one Body, endowing the Church with the gifts needed for its work. We are, therefore, to rise above personal and sectarian differences and to maintain the unity of the Spirit in love and peace (Romans 12:4-19; 1 Corinthians 12:1-27; Ephesians 4:1-16).
- We believe that the Church has the responsibility to carry out the Great Commission of Jesus Christ, that is, to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15; Romans 10:14-15).
- We believe in that blessed hope, the personal return of Christ for His Church. At death the redeemed enter into the presence of Christ and, after the resurrection of the body at His coming, they shall forever be with Him in His glory. Unbelievers after death await the final judgment when they shall be punished with everlasting separation from the presence of the Lord (1 Corinthians 15:19-58; Philippians 1:20-23; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 20:11-15).
Academic Excellence: CCA will provide a standards-based U.S. academic education, adapted to the needs of a diverse student body that prepares students to be global, critical thinkers able to adapt to a changing world.
Biblically Centered: CCA will provide a Christ-centered environment, with faculty and staff who are committed Christians, who disciple students in Christian doctrine and principles, yet allow all students the freedom to make their own choices.
International Awareness: CCA will challenge students to appreciate cultural diversity and, as servant leaders, to seek ways to improve their community and to actively support endeavors to meet the needs of others worldwide.
Caring Community: CCA will provide a safe and secure environment in which each child can develop as God has designed them.
Church-Related: CCA, as a ministry of Crossroads Bible Church, will fulfill its mission in accordance with the policies of Crossroads Bible Church, its sponsoring body.